I have always loved making smoothies, and was recently gifted a ‘NutriBullet’ as a birthday present! Best birthday present ever! Smoothies are quick to make, filling, and if you add the right ingredients, – nutritious too! (Just FYI, I classify chocolate as a very nutritious ingredient!). And what’s more, they even look pretty!
The last couple months, I have over indulged in the holiday season with multiple turkey dinners and sweet treats galore! So this past week, I tried to get back on track, by making smoothies for either breakfast or lunch. Here for you are some of my favorite ‘go-to’ smoothies.
Triple Berry Smoothie
A fresh, light, berry smoothie rich in anti-oxidants perfect for a summer afternoon drink. I love the deep rich color it has, and an abundance of fruity flavor. It is dairy-free and gluten-free.
- In the jug of your NutriBullet or blender add all your berries.
- If using the NutriBullet, fill to the max line with orange juice.
- Blend completely and serve with a garnish of fresh green kiwi.
You may use fresh or frozen berries. I typically use what I have on hand at that time. Occasionally the berries may be tart, in which case you can add your sweetener of choice. I did not add any sweetener in this smoothie, and it was perfect.
Another one of my favorites is the ‘Pineapple Coconut Smoothie‘. It has that ‘tropical paradise’ feel to it and serve it up in a pineapple cup – and it’s holiday mode!
Pineapple Coconut Smoothie
A refreshing combination of pineapple and coconut served in a pineapple cup for that added 'vacation' feel .
- In your NutriBullet or blender combine the pineapple chunks, frozen bananas and sweetened shredded coconut.
- Add your coconut water to the max line if using your NutriBullet, or approximately 3/4 cup.
- Blend together till smooth.
Here is another alternate way of serving up this deliciousness. The pineapple cup looks very cute, but it does require a little bit of an arm workout. But this smoothie looks equally gorgeous served up in a goblet with a simple garnish of a red cherry and a small Hawaiian umbrella.
‘Banana Berry Smoothie’ was my mid-week selection. It is very filling and equally nutritious. The oatmeal adds a nutty flavor to the smoothie, and the blueberries gives it the wonderful purple burst of color and flavor.
Banana Berry Smoothie
A thick, creamy, packed with nutrition, almost-can-be-eaten-with-a-spoon smoothie.
- In your NutriBullet or blender, add all the ingredients except milk.
- Add milk according to the consistency you desire. I prefer a thicker smoothie, so I add just enough to blend.
- Blend until smooth and serve immediately with some fresh blueberries.
And last but not least my all-time favorite ‘Chocolate Banana Smoothie’. Remember how I mentioned, I thought chocolate is a nutritious ingredient.
Chocolate Banana Smoothie
Heavenly chocolate goodness in a jar.
- In your NutriBullet or blender, combine bananas, cocoa powder, peanut butter, coffee, and yogurt.
- Add enough milk to blend together.
- Serve and enjoy with few chocolate chips for garnish.