The past few weeks have been the longest I have stayed away from the gym. After falling out of my ‘workout routine’ this summer, I struggled to find my way back. Forget motivation, I had absolutely no desire or inclination to go to the gym or workout. Needless to say, this had major repercussions on my health, both physically and mentally. Of course I piled on some pounds, thanks to Netflix, books and my bedside snacks, but also, I just wasn’t in a good place mentally. (My friends can vouch for that!)
I have finally done my first workout today! This felt so monumental, I felt it deserved it’s own blog post! As I was running on the treadmill, I realized how good this felt and the familiar feelings of accomplishment and contentment resurfaced!
Truth be told, I barely managed a 3k run. I was slow, and kept walking parts of it. But I managed to complete it! I came a long way, from the plethora of excuses I had come up with to get out of going to the gym!
In no particular order, here they are.
Some funny. Others not. All true!
- I cant go to gym till I look thinner and this holiday weight comes off. I’m too overweight to get started yet. I need to look the part first.
- I just need to hydrate for 2 days because clearly I’m only bloated.
- I want to wear my new gym attire when I go to the gym. But I’m not wearing my new gym attire, till I lose a few pounds.
- I will do yoga at home, because my body is stiff. It actually needs to stretch first before I can get into hard core cardio! So no gym tonight!
- My kids were annoying me last night, so I need to just relax and decompress with a good book. Getting adequate rest is part of self-care and that’s almost like going to the gym.
- Realistically speaking, I can only go between 8-9 am, but I got home at 8:05 am from school drop off, and the window of opportunity has passed.
- I need a new playlist. You know something that motivates me and ideally something from this century!
- A new episode of my favorite TV show just aired last night. Must catch up on it between 8-9 am.
- I’m on my period. I’m off it.
- The couple that runs on the treadmill next to me will be there. I don’t feel like being competitive today.
- I’ll work out at home. It’s easy and convenient. Spent an hour scrolling workout videos, personal trainers, and mentally doing all moves ‘in my head’. That felt like a workout!
- I ate an avocado today. I’ve basically eaten healthy so I’m good for another 2 days.
- I’ve eaten too much last night. I’m feeling stuffed – can’t work out. I’ve eaten too little – I need fuel my body now. Can’t work out.
Hopefully I will never use these excuses again. But never say never! At least for now I am back where I belong. My happy place – the gym!
I have started running again, and my pace is far from what it was, but I’m hoping to get back to my usual rhythm soon! I have some crazy thoughts while I run. If you want to read about them, click here.
How do you get back to your workout routine after a break?