Pasta is one of those versatile foods that you can create in many ways! Perhaps add in some marinara or alfredo sauce, veggies, or even cheese and it comes together beautifully for a substantial family meal. Pair it with a garden salad or some crusty garlic bread for that perfect meal. Pasta dishes are also great to take to potlucks and are loved by kids and adults alike!
This recipe is also very versatile. If you do not have broccoli, you can leave it out or add another vegetable.in its place like spinach. If you prefer a low calories version, you can substitute the cream for milk. Also, I typically use home made chicken stock if I have some on hand, but this time I didn’t so I used a prepared chicken cube. Basically, you can mix and match and make it your own. The leftovers can be reheated in the oven and it taste great the next day too. If you would like to make it ahead of time, you can assemble everything and leave it overnight in the fridge. The next day just pop it in the oven with some additional heating time.
Chicken & Broccoli Pasta in a Mushroom Cream Sauce
A creamy pasta baked with crispy broccoli and chicken.
- 800 gm boneless chicken cut into strips
- 1-2 heads of broccoli. Cut florets up.
- 500 gms Pasta
- 2 Tbsp Chile Lime Seasoning or substitute Paprika– Salt & Pepper to taste
- 6-8 garlic cloves minced
- 1 small onion minced
- 2-3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 500 gms white or brown mushrooms sliced
- 2 Tbsp Flour
- 1 chicken cube or 1 cup chicken stock prepared
- 1 cup water
- 1.5 cups Cooking Cream
- 1 Tbsp mustard
- 1 cup Cheddar Cheese
- Mozzarella Cheese and Parmesan cheese to sprinkle
- Chili Flakes for garnish
- Take a pot of boiling water and some salt to it and add your pasta. Cook your pasta al dente according to package directions.
- Sprinkle the chicken strips with salt, pepper and chili lime seasoning. Add some olive oil to a pan and fry them on medium high heat for about 5 minutes. Overcooking the chicken will make it dry and rubbery, so just enough to sear it, is all we need. Remove the chicken and set aside.
- In the same pan, add butter, and saute the onions till translucent. Next add in the garlic and fry. Be careful not to burn the garlic.
- Next add in the sliced mushrooms and cook for a few minutes.5. Stir in the flour and cook it for about 2 minutes. 6. Add in the chicken cube and a cup of water. Alternatively you could just add 1 cup of prepared chicken stock.
- Stir in the prepared mustard and the cooking cream.
- Grate some fresh nutmeg on top, add salt and pepper and adjust seasonings if needed. Let it come to a gentle simmer. Remove from the stove and add in the cheddar cheese.
- Take your serving dish (9×13) and layer in your pasta, chicken and broccoli. Next spoon in your mushroom cream mixture. I usually do it in two layers.
- Add some shredded mozzarella on top, and sprinkle some Parmesan cheese as well.
- Bake in a 350F preheated oven for about 15 minutes. Next broil for 5 minutes so the top can get nice and golden brown. Remove from the oven and sprinkle chilli flakes for heat.