Orange chicken is one of our family favorites when we order from Panda Express. This recipe is a bit different and does not use fresh orange juice as some of the others do. The orange flavor comes straight from the orange zest and takes it to another level!
The frying of the chicken has to be done in batches, and that is probably the only thing that takes time. Other than that, it comes together quickly.
Boneless chicken thighs coated in a delicious sticky orange sauce.
- For the chicken
- 1 Kg boneless chicken thighs cut into cubes
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp white pepper powder
- Oil (1 Tbsp for mixture and oil for frying)
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 Tbsp corn starch
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 3 TBsp Soy sauce
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 10 Tbsp white sugar
- 2-3 Tbsp orange zest
- 2 Tbsp ginger grated
- 2 tsp garlic grated
- 1/2 – 1 tsp red hot chilli peppers crushed
- sesame seeds and spring onions for garnish
- In a bowl, mix egg, salt, pepper and 1 tbsp oil. In another bowl mix the 1/2 cup corn starch and flour.
- Take a wok or frying pan, add oil for frying and heat it to a medium high heat.
- Take your chicken cubes and dip it in the egg mixture then the flour mixture and fry till a golden brown. Do this in batches so not to over crowd the pan. Fry all the chicken this way and keep on the side.
- In a bowl combine all the ingredients of the sauce and keep aside.
- In a wok heat some oil and add the finisher ingredients – minced ginger, minced garlic, and crushed red pepper. Saute just a bit till aromatic.
- Next add in the orange sauce and bring to a boil. As this comes to a boil, it will start to thicken up.
- Next add in the fried chicken, turn off the heat and mix to combine well.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and spring onions and serve with hot steamed white rice