Lemon Bars are such a quintessential summer dessert! Perfect to have at picnics, brunches, bake sales, bridal showers or just paired with a nice cup of evening tea. The key to a good lemon bar is using fresh lemon juice. I can’t stress that enough. It really brings out the flavor and is totally worth it.
For this recipe, I’ve made a buttery shortbread crust and the filling is double in size because I personally like more filling on top. However, if you prefer less lemon filling, bake this in a 9 x 13 glass pan and it will be perfect for you.
A buttery shortbread crust topped with a sweet and tangy lemon curd filling.
- For the shortbread crust
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar (icing sugar)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup cold butter cut into small chunks For the lemon curd filling
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 6 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice strained
- Lemon zest of two lemons Optional
- confectioners sugar (icing sugar)for dusting
- Line your 8 x 8 baking pan with parchment paper and preheat oven to 350 F.
- Place the flour, salt, confectioners sugar, vanilla and the cold butter in a food processor and pulse till the pastry comes together and forms small clumps or crumbs. T
- Transfer this pastry into your prepared pan and flatten out with your hand or spatula to create an even crust. Bake for 20-25 minutes until the edges are slightly brown. Take out of the oven and place on the wire rack. Tip : With a fork, poke holes on the warm crust. (Don’t go all the way through, just halfway)
- Reduce your oven temperature to 325 F.
- In a large bowl, sift the flour and add the sugar. Next add in the eggs, lemon juice and lemon zest. Whisk until combined.
- Pour the filling onto the warm crust and bake for about 30-35 minutes until the filling is just set and no longer jiggles.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let it cool at room temperature for 2 hours and then stick it in the fridge for another hour or two until nicely chilled. Remove the lemon bars using the parchment paper and use a clean knife to cut squares. Lastly dust with confectioners sugar and store in the refrigerator for up to a week.