You will probably come across many recipes for Chicken Karahi these days since over the years everyone has come out with their own adaptations. The one I am sharing with you today is one I learned from my mother’s friend. I was a teenager, and we were hanging out at her place, and my mom’s friend said she will cook up some chicken karahi for lunch. I went in to help her and while she making it, she shared some of her tips and tricks. They have stuck with me all these years.
A recipe for chicken with the bold flavors of tomato and ginger coming through.
- 1 kg chicken cut into small pieces (about 12)
- 10-12 cloves garlic, grated
- 2 Tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 700-800 grams of fresh good quality tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp kashmiri chili powder
- 1 tsp roasted and ground cumin powder
- 1 tsp corriander powder
- 2 tsp crushed red chili flakes
- Freshly ground black pepper (estimate)
- Salt to taste
- Green Chilies for garnish
- Chopped corriander for garnish
- Thinly sliced ginger for garnish
- Ghee for frying
- Heat ghee in your karahai and make sure it is heated through. Add your chicken and fry on high heat. Stir constantly till the chicken changes color and turns white and light golden.
- Add in the freshly grated ginger and garlic and stir for a few minutes.
- Add in the tomatoes, tomato paste, kashmiri red chili, ground cumin, corriander powder, chili flakes black pepper powder, and salt.
- Continue to let this cook for 15-20 minutes without a lid and high heat. After the chicken is cooked, the oil should separate and come to the top. At this point the tomatoes should have thickened and the gravy should be very thick and not like a curry.
- Garnish with corriander, green chilies and ginger and close the flame and cover it now before serving.
Cooking on a high flame without a lid is crucial. Otherwise it will turn into a curry. You want more of a stir fry look and feel to this dish.
Using good quality fresh tomatoes will make this dish what it should be.
Definitely use fresh ginger and garlic for this. It will elevate this to new levels.