Best served warm, these chocolate caramel cookie bars are the perfect combination of chocolate and caramel. I use a little cheat with the caramel inside by layering Rolo candies that are chocolate covered caramel pieces of heaven!!
I find cookie bars so much easier than actual cookies, because they bake all in one pan!
Chocolate Caramel Cookie Bars
- 1 and 3/4 cups (280g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (170g) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup (200g) packed light or dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar
- 1 large egg plus 1 large egg yolk, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup (180g) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Rolo chocolate covered candies for layering
- Caramel for drizzling (optional). I use the ‘Carnation Caramel‘ It is the perfect consistency.
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line parchment paper in a 8×8 square tin pan such that the excess hangs from the sides so it is easier to pull out of the pan
2. Whisk together the flour, coco powder, salt, baking soda and cornstarch in a bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk melted butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar until well combined and no lumps remain.
4. Next add in the egg and egg yolk and finally the vanilla and combine well.
5. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and combine. Fold in the chocolate chips.
6. Transfer half of this dough into your prepared pan and pat down to create an even layer. At this point place the Rolo candies all over the cookie dough layer and press down gently. Top with the remaining cookie dough and level it out gently. Bake for 23-25 minutes and check with a toothpick to see if it is done. If the toothpick comes out clean from the center of the pan, it is done. There may be some crumbs that cling to the toothpick, which is fine.
7. Allow bars to cool in the pan that is set on a wire rack for an hour. Take them out by lifting the parchment paper that is hanging from the sides. Cut into squares and drizzle with caramel and keep in an air tight container for up to a week.
8. For best results, heat a piece in the microwave for 8-10 seconds before enjoying it. It makes all the difference.
Note: An Alternate to the Rolo candies would be Werther’s brand soft caramels.
Option for egg